About Me

My photo
I am an Air Force wife and mother of three precious gifts from God. I enjoy learning at home with my children, and the many adventures this life sends our way. So stop by often to visit, and check out what the Five Nomads are up to.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

The County Fair (Nomad Version)

While we were in Iowa, the Mills County Fair was going on. My sister, Jody Blue, was blogging away about her visits to her county fair. Doesn't it look so educational, and like so much fun. Yea, I thought so too. So I asked my kiddos if they would like to go. Bubby asked, "will there be lions and tigers there?"

At that moment I realized my children have seen more zoo animals than those of the domestic type, which is really weird for me. I was raised in a small town. Although my dad wasn't a farmer, all of my uncles and aunts lived on farms. As a child a favorite activity for my cousin and I was walking through the cow poo and mud up to our knees. Then we would put lime (you know that white chalky stuff) over it, and wow did we look great with our go-go boots. Hey, don't laugh. They were all the rage in the 70's. I digressed.

Anywho, I decided it would be a great idea to take my children to the county fair. We started with the rabbits and chickens. Things seemed to be going well, and we then we hit the pig barn. I knew then this was not the grand experience I had dreamed about. You see, we arrived just as they were tattooing the pigs. You know, so they can identify them when they go off to market. Yea, this is where The General (who is quite a tender hearted animal lover) stopped having fun. I'm not sure how he found out that the piggies don't go home, but he was not happy. For a moment I thought we were going to have a Free Willy moment, only with all the county fair pigs.
You know me, I wasn't going to let that get us down. I explained to The General our need for protein, and also pointed out his only option was to become a vegetarian (the only vegetable the boy eats are raw carrots, under duress). He came back with, "well, I'll just be a clemetinarian." Sure, that sounds healthy.

Okay, we're hungry we'll just break for lunch. We can regroup, refocus and get back to having fun. Right? Yea, right! With The General pouting behind, I arrived at the food area. This is where Bubby decided to loose his mind. I want this, no, not that. Basically he found that place deep inside that says, "whatever the lady suggests, I'm doing the opposite. AND, even IF she gives me exactly what I want. . .I'm changing my mind!" You know this special place, all of us mothers have been there.

Next up on the fair fun docket, my only child niece decides to give her momma a little taste of the fun Auntie Tami was experiencing. What, majority rules?? Screw that, I want to do what I want to do. . .NOW!

We did manage to get through the cattle without any further problems. (The General did not realize the beef cattle were in the same boat as the pigs.) Then we quickly checked out the 4-H non-animal projects. Bubby was quite put out when a little old lady scolded him for trying out the artsy fishing rod. By this time he was ready for a nap (which he generally doesn't take) and so was I. We headed home, and did just that.

How pathetic. I can tackle the metro, tour all over DC with my children. I did Philly when Bubby was 6 weeks old, stopping every couple hours to nurse, without Mr. Nomad. Yet the Mills County Fair kicked my butt.

Sorry I have no pictures to capture this memorable day. I forgot the camera in Oklahoma. Maybe that is for the best.

3 comments:

  1. OH my did I laugh like a hyena~ you know those things in zoo's! Hey you two were pretty creative with the go-go boots, we stepped in cow pies to feel it ooze between our toes or to warm up our feet on cold mornings. I would have loved to be in the crowd of country bumpkins as you were giving your talk on protein! At least tell me you all loved the chickens as much as I do! And you are right we all have those day's when they wake up and say I'm going down and takin' the woman with me! Now that they know the cold harsh realities of a county fair it will go better the next time. That was just so funny~one mans misery is anothers pleasure~sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the rides?? Not sure we can even take Desi this year as we have spoiled her so much in the past on those rides. That's the kids reward for enduring the horse barns and exhibits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No rides at the Mills County Fair. They just don't know what they are missing.

    ReplyDelete