About Me

My photo
I am an Air Force wife and mother of three precious gifts from God. I enjoy learning at home with my children, and the many adventures this life sends our way. So stop by often to visit, and check out what the Five Nomads are up to.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday Treasures - Sometimes it is in the memories.

Mary over at Hope Echoes hosts Tuesday Treasures each week. Stop by and check it out.


This is one of my favorite treasures. Doesn't look like much, does it? An old soda can, that has seen better days. Sometimes the treasure isn't in the value, or even in the aesthetic properties. Sometimes the treasure lies in the memories. . .

This old can used to have a picture drawn on the side, with my name, T-A-M-I neatly printed on the side. It was my very own bank my Grandma B. made, just for me. When I would visit on Saturday, which was the weekend tradition--Saturday Grandma B., Sundays with Grandma L., I would go to the cupboard and get out my bank. Oh the fun I had counting the change.

My Grandma's house wasn't fancy. She often joked that she lived in a tar paper shack, which wasn't far from the truth. What Grandma's house lacked in "things", it more than made up for in love and fun. There was slopping the pigs, carrying in baby lambs in the spring, collecting the sap from the maple trees for syrup, gardening, doing laundry with the old fashioned ringer machine, mushrooming, wood hauling, tractor driving and card playing until late into the night. My favorite task at Grandma's house was baking-she even let me eat the dough! I could go on and on. You see, Grandma didn't have electricity until 1977, and running water with indoor plumbing came a few years after that.
This was taken the last time I visited my Grandma B. at the home place. (She has since moved to a nursing home.) Bubby was just 4 months old. He was meeting his great-grandma for the first time, which was extra special for me. Bubby was born on her 89th birthday. When we arrived that day I made a comment about him being her birthday present, and without even missing a beat she replied, "Well, do I get to keep him then?"
Here is Grandma with Princess when she was just 3 or so. Grandma was collecting eggs from her hen house. Grandma was 86 years young in this one. Still living on the farm alone, with chickens to tend. When the chickens got to be too much, we knew her days in the Boondocks were numbered.

Looking at this old soda can doesn't mean a whole lot to others. In fact, on a few occasions Mr. Nomad has almost thrown it out while unpacking. However, when I hold this old can, it brings back a flood gate of happy memories from my childhood. It brings back a place where I was unconditionally loved. A place where I was made to feel worthwhile. Over the years I written numerous gushing letters to my Grandma. I needed her to know how much I love her, and how much I appreciated all she has done for me. Grandma only brushed off the praise, and prefers to hear about the everyday happenings of my life as a momma. You see, that is my Grandma B. She is quiet, strong, hard-working, and loving. I hope I can grow up to be as wonderful as my Grandma B.

9 comments:

  1. AAAAWWWEE!!!!! You have a sappy side dontcha?? :D I love that bank (now)--Mr. Nomad even looks at the trash and I'll smack him for ya! I want your Grandma too. She is a treasure and it's also a treasure that you recognize her as such now while she can still know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Dadelionmom. When it comes to my Grandma B. I can't stop the sap from flowing. I think the reason I am such a sap is my realization that my life could be very different. For some unknown reason God has blessed me with wonderful people who fill in the spots that weren't quite there as a child. He also gave me a positive outlook, and a yearning for something better. So when I think of those people who provided a great example for me to follow, and how that has richly blessed my life to the core. . .well, this is what you get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have that, and more importantly, the memories.

    I've thought about doing more blogs on my treasures. Somehow I don't feel entitled to my bragging rights. You and I are kindred spirits in what we see as treasures. My house is filled with old junk from other people. Infact, there's no room for new stuff, because most of the old stuff I refuse to part with. (I am NOT talking about the pink flowered couch from Dave's mom, however). I can't wait for "someday" when you and I get that long awaited visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right I do love this post!!! I still have my can...and all the sweet memories:) For such a little woman she has some pretty big shoes to fill...but we can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! My grandma passed away in 1973. She had electricity and running water, but never a furnace or hot water heater. And of course no air conditioning. I think she moved out of her house in 1972. She had a ringer washer and a big tub that we used for baths and she heated the water on the stove.

    Your grandma and mine would have gotten along fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy,
    Welcome. I will stop by on a Friday. Or maybe I already missed it. Such is life with kiddos. Sometimes computer time, other times lots of kiddo time.
    Mary,
    Yes, they would have gotten along nicely. Wasn't visiting that grandma the best? There was something about the basic living that was so much fun. Going out to the outhouse to go potty, while chilly and a bit smelly, was still so cool.
    Jody,
    Yes, some very big shoes to fill. I hope your bank is in better shape than mine. Do you still have the picture that Grandma drew on the front?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post! That can is a keeper. I can't read Chinese but I am pretty sure it says something about the chickens. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, they might have been offering me potstickers. Way to blow it.

    ReplyDelete