About Me

My photo
I am an Air Force wife and mother of three precious gifts from God. I enjoy learning at home with my children, and the many adventures this life sends our way. So stop by often to visit, and check out what the Five Nomads are up to.

Monday, April 27, 2009

The long promised photos

Okay, remember when I said I would post pictures of our traveling across country? I know it has been a few weeks, please keep in mind The Nomads are in transit. Without further adieu, here are the pictures.
Here is the flooded Interstate in North Dakota. It was a little strange to drive through all the water. Notice how it is flat as far as you can see? It is on this trip I realized I am a mountain lover. I know there is beauty in the flat plains, and if I were a farmer I would think I had died and gone to heaven. Fertile soil as far as the eye can see. Unfortunately, though I come from a long line of farmers, I'm more of a gardener. Driving through Eastern North Dakota is so boring and depressing to me. (I think it is a throw back from the time we were stationed at Grand Forks AFB. We were newly weds and I commuted 80 miles one way to work each day. The fertile fields grew old by the second week.)Ahh, we've made it to Western North Dakota. Aren't the Badlands beautiful? It was a great lesson for the kiddos on rock formations. Yes, I am really a crazy homeschool mom who can make a lesson out of anything. When I was bored in ND, we discussed how many different shades of brown we would need to paint a landscape.Can you believe the day before we hit this it was sunny and 70 degrees? From the time we left DC we had overcast skies and dreary brown scenery. Then we hit Montana, and at first we saw green . . .then WHITE! The trees in the mountains looked like a Christmas picture. (Sorry no photos of that, I was busy driving.) I so enjoy driving through Montana, Idaho and Washington State. The mountains are captivating. I keep thinking. . .hmmm. . .what could we do to make a living here???
At last we made it to Washington State. The kiddos were making a run for the park. After two weeks on the road, they were more than happy to trade in seat belts for monkey bars. This is one of the many parks in our new neighborhood. While they really miss their friends, they too love the beauty and nature here in Washington State.
Speaking of that homeschool mom thing. . .I'd better stop blogging and get back to schooling.
Next time I'll take you along on a hike. Oh, it is good to be back in the Pacific Northwest.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like Ranier in the distance? I so loved Montana. Dave spent his late teens early adult years near Missoula. We've spent the night there 2ce now with some of his old friends. Welcome to the Pacific Northwest! We'll most definitely have to get together. Maybe a field trip thru Mt St Helen's. I feel the same way about the mountains vs the flat lands. I've always been a "rock hound" and now I have more than I could ever wish for! One of the by products of living in the hills. Thanks for sharing those pics. Love, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are going to have to meet up. We are here til mid May, then off to OK for the summer. We hope to be back by September to get settled into our new house. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more inclined to head for the hills also, I will settle for the mini mountains of this area. I would have love to see those chillens running for the park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I miss that mountain!
    I'm thankful you all are there safely. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new home.

    Thanks for the Easter letter. We'd sure love to see you when you come through NE. We'll be in Germany June 6-15. I hope your visit isn't during those dates - I'll be so sad :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure on the dates yet, but I will keep in mind you are out of town then. Germany, how exciting. I've always wanted to live or visit there. Since it doesn't look like the AF is going to ever send us there I'd better start saving for the vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Rainier! ahhh, she looks beautiful.
    Man! I am so jealous! I want to go back....
    I am happy that you get to though. What a beautiful view! I'm glad you all made it there okay. great pictures!
    Coralia :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just as soon as we get a house, I'll get a spot ready for you. :) Come on out and visit! I'll even take you black berry picking. (Yes, that is a blantant bribe!)

    ReplyDelete