About Me

My photo
I am an Air Force wife and mother of three precious gifts from God. I enjoy learning at home with my children, and the many adventures this life sends our way. So stop by often to visit, and check out what the Five Nomads are up to.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

You can take the Nomads out of MN, but you can't take MN out of the Nomads.

One of our favorite spots here in Oklahoma has been Quartz Mountain. It is just a 20 minute drive north of the base, and it is a little slice of heaven here on earth. When we feel a little caged in and restless, a trip to the lake is just the answer.

Our first trip up to Quartz Mountain was with my friend, Di. We hiked an easy trail with the kiddos, and I learned some new trees. (I'm a bit of a tree hugger at heart. I get it from my dad.) Did you know the leaves of a Walnut look very much like that of the Hickory? You have to look closely, and then it is the bark that can help you solve the mystery. Walnut's have smoother bark,and the Hickory is quite rough. Oh, that was so much fun.Bubby, of course, preferred climbing all over the rocks. Normally that is good, but I have to admit to being a bit anxious here at Quartz Mountain. There are tons of rattlesnakes in these here parts, so I found myself constantly scanning the area. To my delight, and the children's disappointment, we did not encounter any vipers on this day.Although he likes climbing mountains, in the Oklahoma heat, Bubby's favorite place by far is Lake Altus at Quartz Mountain. Which is where the title of this entry was born. Where ever we go, where ever we roam, we Nomads always feel most at home near the water. (You know, Minnesota being the land of 10,000 lakes and all.) The Five Nomads love lakes. We like riding in boats on lakes. We like being pulled around on lakes.


Or just swimming in them, to keep us cool on a hot summer day. Yes, having a lake this summer made it feel a little bit like home. (Only it was nice and warm here. So even whimpy cold girl-Tami could swim.)

4 comments:

  1. I would have been freakin' out about the whole snike (who said that?? Kris maybe?)thing too! And who doesn't love the lakes of MN!! That is one thing we miss so so much in this area! And yes you do come by that tree hugger thing honestly (ask me about the trees when we moved to the school house place as kids).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to remember our dear author here with the pronounciation of "snike".

    Yep, those rattle snakes would have me going as well! Our family feels the same way about water. Gotta have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, where did we get that snike thing Jody Blue? Brenda, have I always said it like that? I only ask because my family teases me about it, and for the life of me I cannot say snake.
    I can't wait to hear about the tree story. I love a good story, and if it involves Dad and trees it's gotta be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol....you still say "snike"??? oh that is just too cute!


    You really were the cutest little girl I could imagine. For a time you said "snuck" instead of skunk, and I never would have remembered except Desi says it now too! And you called me "Boo-boo" :)

    ReplyDelete